Saturday, September 24, 2011

Random Week

This week has flown by. ACL was pretty good this year. There were way too many people; even the crowds on Friday were insane. We skipped Saturday, and lent our wristbands to friends. You aren’t supposed to do that, but we weren’t going to use them. Went back for Sunday and had a much better time. We were not in the festival mood on Friday, but having a day off revived us. Also there were bands I really wanted to see the last day. My favorites were the first and last shows we saw on Sunday, The Airborne Toxic Event and Arcade Fire.

Blurry pictures!
I know you can't tell, but we were pretty close.

They put on an awesome show.

Monday was spent gathering strength, picking up car, working a half day, and then partner yoga. DH and I have been going to Yoga Scott’s partner yoga class at Soma Vida. We’ve gone three times, and every time we go I’m pretty sure we can’t make it the next time. A couple of weeks before I knew about the partner yoga, DH and I made plans to hang with second eldest SIL weekly for trivia. Trivia is, of course, at the same time as the class. I have fun at both, but I feel healthy after yoga.  Perhaps we will be able to go to the class and then after the six weeks are up we’ll do trivia more regularly. We'll see.

Tuesday was spent crashed out re-watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and knitting. I still wasn’t fully recovered from ACL. We are almost through season two. I wonder if the marathoning has made me more in touch with my angsty-poet-teen side. I’ve been feeling the need to get my sketchbook out and play with pastels again. Haven’t done that in years. I know the show has made me miss all my wonderful 90’s clothes. Buffy holds up, except for the prevalence of cell phones, or rather the lack there of in the show dates it. They say, “I couldn’t find her at her house or the school, where could she be?” And I think “You could just call her.”
The late 90’s don’t feel that long ago fashion wise, but then I heard an interview on NPR about the 20th anniversary of Nirvana’s Nevermind. That made me feel old. I didn’t get into Nirvana until after Curt was dead, but still.
I’ve gotten good enough that I can now watch TV and work on the baby blanket. I have been cheating a bit and doing the wrong-side with my right hand. I’m just about 3/8ths of the way done. My tension has changed and it looks better at the top, so now I’m thinking about ripping it out and starting over. But that’s just the OCD talking. While it is supposed to be washable, it does have a bit of wool in it and should block a little bit. I hope.

Wednesday was yoga, grocery shopping, and delayed Dr. Who watching. No spoilers here, but the episode made me teary. If you aren't watching Dr. Who go back to the reboot in 2005 and catch up. The old Who is kind of campy, and while I like the fourth Doctor, I wouldn't suggest starting from the beginning if you haven't seen the new Who. Start with the new stuff, if you get really hooked then go back and watch the old stuff.

Thursday was weight training followed by hanging out at S's, watching him play video games and playing with kitties.

Yesterday was going with my parents to see Conspirare perform music by Samuel Barber. DH liked it just fine, but I was blown away. If you are into choral music at all, you should check them out. Then DH and I came home and watched Buffy until the wee hours. Yes, we are that silly.

Today was yoga, and yarn store. I was sore before yoga and I'm still sore, but I feel good. It was a very stretchy, rejuvenating sort of yoga.  The yarn store was Hill Country Weavers, one of my favorites. Some LYSs in central Texas have been rounding up donations for those who've lost their homes in the recent fire in Bastrop. Lots of knitters lost their stash or had it damaged by smoke, just when they need comfort. The donations that they asked for were skeins of yarn that were close to the heart of the one donating. If you love it, the person who receives it will love it too.  So, I decided that the blue that wouldn't do anything right but finally turned out well was something that I loved, that someone else might love. It felt right to give that yarn to the knitters who were going through such a hard time. I had such a hard time making it, and it took a long time until I figured out how to turn it into something that I liked. But in the end it worked out. And I feel like that's a spirit I want to pass on. Things may fight you, and things may seem completely ruined. But if you work at it, sometimes, it turns out right.

Tonight we are going to see Weird Al. DH is over the moon excited and, although I'm not as big Weird Al fan, I'll have fun watching him have fun.

No comments: