Monday, November 21, 2011

Pictures!

You know the glut of fiber photos I keep talking about? Well, here they are:

Yes, I live in Texas.
Wish I’d gotten some of the gray, but it was gone by Saturday when I bought stuff.
These are silk hankies.
Silk hankies are silk cocoons spread out on a square form, one on top of another. They are dyed together and then the spinner pulls them apart to spin with each individually. Knitty has a good explanation of how to spin with them.

Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full.
I did not come home with a bag of unwashed fleece. It was a near thing though; it’s hard turning down that much merino fiber for ten dollars.

I love this little bear.
He’s sitting on the shelf above the white bear fibers yarn. I know the guy who dyes these, he's very nice, you should give him money.

I didn't end up getting a spindle from these guys. But aren't they pretty?


Lots of merino fiber.
There's cotton, camel, cashmere, carbonized bamboo and other wool.
This is from the Spinning Silk into Gold stall. I got a bunch of fiber from them.

This is a silk lap.
This was also at Spinning Silk into Gold stall. It’s like a giant hankie, expensive but so pretty.

I love the way they set these up, from cool to warm.

It's good to have options.
This is fiber from the Rainbow Dyeing in One Pot class.
Next year, I may buy myself one of these pots and take the One Pot class.

I loved every color combination at this stall. I'd have loved to walk home with most of these.
This is the box charkha that I talked about a while ago.
This was at the Yarnorama stall. Once I get a whole lot better at spinning cotton, I’m thinking about getting one of these. Maybe.

Me at my wheel... wait a minute.
This was kind of cool, kind of creepy, but not something you overlooked.

I love how steampunk this sock knitting machine looks.
This is the bad hair day hat, knitted out of art yarn with large mohair locks. Isn't it great?
Goat on a rope.
This goat is where the mohair comes from. He was very soft, and wanted to eat the flag that was covering the table next to him.

This is a drum carder.

 It’s a fast and easy way to mix colors and fibers into a batt. Notice the adorable little spinner waiting for her batt.

Yes, the bearskin rug is knitted. No, I have no idea how they added the teeth.
Considering all the wonderful fiber that was there, and all the fabulous yarn, I think I was fairly constrained in my purchases.
Angora, baby suri alpaca, bison/silk, camel, cashmere, cotton, carbonized bamboo, mohair white and dyed, merino/cashmere/silk superwash merino white and dyed... I think that's it.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Love the bad hair day hat!