Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Blogs I'm reading

Since I’ve started blogging I have started reading a lot more blogs than I used to (blog is such a weird word, I know it comes from web-log drop the we, but it tastes odd). Finding Google Reader (thanks cousin!) has helped me keep track of them.

One of the best for technical knitting issues is, the appropriately named, TECHknitting. I had known of it, but only recently started reading it. It is full of wonderful tricks and tips. How to knit better, more efficiently, and what to do if a project has all gone sideways on you. If you are a blog-reading knitter and you haven’t read it, rather unlikely, go there now! Well, you can wait until you finish this post, but then you should check it out.

TECHknitter is currently in the middle of a series on garment correction. She links to a previous post about fixing issues in length, and I’m excited about the possibilities. My second sweater is a little sad. (The pattern is this one, the mistakes are mine and not the pattern's.) Not only are the arms a little too long, the body is a little too short. I’m not sure if I can use the tricks that TECHknitter suggested, because of the way the ribbing works into the cable pattern, but there might be a possibility that I can fix it. And thus turn a sweater I’m a little uncomfortable in, into my go to super-warm sweater.

Another blog that I’ve been reading regularly is Yarn Harlot. She needs no introduction; she's a knit blogging maven (or a blogging knit maven, I'm not sure). While fooling around on her blog, reading old posts, I discovered that she created the Tricoteuses Sans Frontières/Knitters Without Borders (TSF). 

She started TSF as a way to support Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders (MSF) in response to the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. Considering all that is going on in the world right now - earthquakes, tsunamis, wars - it is a good time to donate.  I’ll be doing the week long challenge and will donate to the MSF next Monday. And as soon as I figure out how to put a button on my blog I’ll add a TSF link.

No comments: