Monday, December 19, 2011

Holiday Blur

The holidays are here and I’m having a hard time keeping everything straight. So before I forget, here’s what we did this weekend:
Thursday I went to the gym for the first time in a month. I moaned and groaned my way through my workout, but I felt great after. So much so that I convinced DH that we HAD to go to the midnight showing of Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. I loved it, no surprise as I am a huge fan of anything Sherlock. Getting up on Friday was difficult, but the movie was worth the exhaustion.

Friday afternoon I picked up my sister, who had just gotten home for winter break, and whisked her over to our place. She needed to do bit of laundry, so DH suggested we watch the beginning of How to Train Your Dragon. We ended up watching the whole movie. It was so cute! The previews did not do it justice. After the movie and laundry, we headed over to hang with P&S for food and fun.

Saturday DH headed off for disk golf, while my sister and I headed over to the parents’ to start on gingerbread house. After she put a Batman cape on my dog and chased her around the kitchen, we got down to some serious interneting. We’ve decided to branch out and make a house that is not in the Gingerbread Architect, the gingerbread bible that we’ve used the last few years. So after much pouring over Google images, while I crocheted, we came up with a plan. A plan we will start on Wednesday.

That evening DH joined my dad, sister and me to go see a production of Amahl and the Night Visitors that Mom was in. She was a shepherdess; I was very proud. After we waited for Mom to change, we all headed over to Hank’s Garage for the duck fat fries (yes, you read that right). It’s a Belgian pub, so you can get poutine, and the best crème brûlée this side of France. DH and I got home and tried to stay up till our houseguests showed up, but it didn’t happen.

Sunday we got up, I crocheted, and listened to the radio until K&V woke up. Then DH and I decorated the tree, while I made K&V watch the first episode of Grimm. Not the most Christmas-y show, but I really enjoy it and I wanted to share. That’s in the Christmas spirit, right? I got one of Victorian Texting Gloves that I was hoping to have done for V before they left, but I just didn’t have time to do them both. Since she has already seen and tried one on, I don’t feel bad showing it to you before Christmas. 
I'm almost done with the second one.
That afternoon, we went over to P&S’s for their Holiday Party. The spread was incredible: sausage, cheese logs, queso, pesto pasta, cookies, sticky toffee pudding, pigs in a blanket, the works. K of S&K baked goodies for Christmas and we had a few. The Snickers cookies were a treat, and the peanut butter fudge was wonderful. We decorated cookies, ate until we hurt, traded gifts, played a game of Killer Bunnies, and ate some more. K&V had to go to work today, so headed back to Dallas. I wish they could have stayed longer, but I’m glad they came.

We are going to the last partner yoga session tonight. I’m sad that it’s ending, but I think it has done us a world of good. I’ve still got a bunch of crocheting left, but I’m starting to feel like I might actually get everything done. Let’s see, Tuesday we’ve another holiday gathering; Wednesday is baking gingerbread; Thursday training at the gym; Friday is probably more gingerbread. That leaves Saturday, Christmas Eve, and Sunday, Christmas.

…Christmas is THIS Sunday?! Eeep! Somehow, I thought I had more than a week left. I may be giving gifts on Twelfth’s Night, because that’s been the plan all along. I swear

2 comments:

MaryAnne said...

Love the glove, and looking forward to your gingerbread house creation!

Erin said...

Sounds like a great party, especially with the food - I'm def taking a note or two!

The initials always crack me up. I can't figure out everyone you're talking about, but I'm curious to know.