Friday, December 9, 2011

Rainbow Yarn and Fibers


Before we went to Memphis this Thanksgiving, I did my homework. I was visiting a city I’ve rarely been to, so I researched the Local Yarn Shops first. I found one nearby in Germantown that sold fiber as well as yarn. The Fiber part is important because when I buy yarn, I try to have a project in mind before I buy it. Fiber doesn’t need a project - it is a project. Of course I need to figure out what to do with the yarn once I’ve spun it, but that's neither here nor there.

I had to decide on one store to visit because unfortunately the family we were visiting are not fiber people so do not understand the need to visit more than one yarn store at a time. So looking for a yarn store that sells fiber was a quick way to narrow down the choices when researching LYSs in a new city. It might not be the best yarn store, but when you can’t compare stores because they don’t have websites (why don’t they have websites?!), it’s a shot in the dark anyway.*

When I first walked into Rainbow Yarns and Fibers, I thought I’d missed my target.
Well, it has some yarn.
It’s a little one room shop, and not stuffed to the gills. But upon taking a closer look, I realized that this little shop was selectively stocked. There wasn’t a lot, but it was all yarn I’d want to own.
Handspun yummy!
There was a place to sit and knit, and probably take classes.
There were these fun felted hats for sale, right next to the sidekick I wanted to take home.
Magazines and more yarn!
The register had buttons all around.
Found the fiber I was looking for, it was under other handspun, next to project bags. I wanted them all.
I've struck fiber!
I did buy a bit of white cashmere and some bamboo in a red-gold color I couldn’t resist. Although with the list of things I want to knit between now and January, I’m probably not going to be spinning anything until February. But that’s ok, it can wait.
Isn't it pretty?
I’m glad that DH and second eldest SIL were willing to go out of their way to appease my need to visit a yarn store. It was just a quick trip, but this little gem was not to be missed.


Blanket update: Five more rows of garter stitch, bind off and block. Should be done tonight or tomorrow.


*I found out about a great yarn store in downtown Oxford that we missed because they don’t have an online presence. Oh well, guess we’ll have to go back.

1 comment:

MaryAnne said...

That red-gold bamboo is amazing! Rumpelstiltskin would be envious...